A tow-truck driver struck another tow-truck driver in the head with a shovel after tensions arose about suspicions of unfair advantages in the "cutthroat" industry, a Perth court had heard.
James Edward Hall is fighting charges of unlawful wounding and common assault stemming from an incident on the side of the Kwinana Freeway on the Mount Henry Bridge on June 15.
Mr Hall is claiming his action in striking rival tow truck driver Bud de Boer in with a shovel was in self-defence.
The blow was recorded by a camera that Mr de Boer had installed on the dashboard of his tow truck and which he said recorded as soon as his engine started in the morning.
Today in a Perth Magistrate’s Court trial, Mr Hall can be seen inflicting the injury with the shovel as traffic passes by.
Mr de Boer today testified that he had arrived at the scene of a two-car collision, with Mr Hall already there arranging to tow one of the vehicles.
He said he had questioned how Mr Hall heard of the job, believing it was the result of what he considered unfair system of Main Roads calling the company he subcontracted to.
Mr de Boer, who was accompanied by his father at the job and arranging to tow the other damaged vehicle, said he had been annoyed and irritated by the suspected arrangement in a "competitive and cutthroat" industry.
But he denied he had abused or been aggressive towards Mr Hall who was attending the job with his female partner before he felt a blow to the back of his head that sounded like a metal object.
"I sort of staggered forward a bit... spun around," he said, admitting he "went off" at Mr Hall after the blow.
"I felt something cold running down my neck which turned out to be my own blood."
Mr de Boer claimed that when he accused Mr Hall of striking him with the shovel he had replied by saying he "bloody well deserved it" and also pointed the shovel at his father.
Both Mr de Boer and his father have denied they were aggressive or abusive towards Mr Hall.
Mr Hall’s lawyer has yet to present the defence case.
The trial continues.