Many thousands of Australian tourists flock to Vancouver every year - to catch an Alaska cruise or as a base for exploring the Canadian Rockies and beyond.
Sometimes it rains here (not unreasonably) and now Tourism Vancouver has come up with a "Top Ten Activities for a wet day" in the city, which annually makes lists of the most agreeable in North America.
Here they are:
1. Take a two-hour culinary tour of the Granville Island public market with Edible British Columbia and learn about the province's locally-grown ingredients and what to do with them.
2. Recharge in the tropical heat of the glass-domed Bloedel Floral Conservatory in Queen Elizabeth Park where exotic plants, free-flying tropical birds and colourful koi (a carp fish) will make you forget the grey weather.
3. Warm your insides with a tongue-tingling jalapeno or chile pepper and chocolate gelato from La Casa Gelato, you'll have 218 flavours from which to choose.
4. Enjoy the tranquility of weekend afternoon high tea by the fire at Bacchus Restaurant and Lounge in the Wedgewood Hotel & Spa.
5. Embrace the rain with a guided rainforest walking tour and gourmet picnic lunch in Lighthouse Park with Rockwood Adventures. Discover lichens, mosses and some of the Lower BC Mainland's oldest cedar trees.
6. Warm up with a delicious bowl of hearty soup at Burgoo Bistro. While you're at it, add a gooey cheese griller and savour the melted mozzarella, gruyere, emmenthal and white cheddar.
7. Select some reading material from the 1.2 million books at the coliseum-like Vancouver Public Library.
8. Roll out your sleeping bag and stay overnight next to the beluga whale tank at the Vancouver Aquarium.
9. Explore the Museum of Anthropology's amazing exhibits and collections, also towering totem poles.
10. Catch a matinee. Duck out of the rain and into one of Vancouver's live theatres - check Tickets Tonight to see what's on and to buy half-price, day-of tickets.
Details: call Tourism Vancouver on (604) 682-2000, call in at 2000 Burrard Steet downtown or visit www.tourismvancouver.com .