Tasmania's biggest food and wine festival is set to kick off with bigger crowds, revamped tasting areas, more stalls and major dollars for the state economy.
The popular seven-day Taste Festival opens on Friday with organisers expecting to draw in up to 320,000 people to Hobart's waterfront in Princes Wharf No.1, Parliament House Lawns and Salamanca Lawns.
Crowds topped 200,000 last year, but organisers say with increased tourism traffic and better weather, the expected turnout could well be met.
"This is a serious event and one event we're very proud of," Hobart City Council Alderman Marti Zucco told AAP.
"We're very excited about it all every year, and just walking through the event preparation over the last few days and seeing it build up, it's looking absolutely fantastic."
There are 10 more stalls this year, bigger tasting areas, a revamped winery section which will serve glassware, and Gordon Ramsay-trained chefs, Zucco says.
Feedback from the community was crucial in improving the annual event to keep it fresh every year, he added.
The popular food and wine festival reels in $39 million into the state's economy.
It's a major economic investment which attracts tourism dollars and creates jobs, Tourism Industry Council Tasmania CEO Luke Martin says.
"The Taste Festival is our single largest event in terms of visitor numbers, with a third of festival attendees from interstate and overseas," Martin said in a statement on Friday.
"Accommodation operators, car rental outlets and tour operators are all bursting at the seems this week, and importantly, this business is flowing into our regional areas."Tasmania's biggest event by visitor numbers, the Taste Festival, is set to bring in even bigger crowds this year.
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.