AFL powerbrokers are meeting with Collingwood officials as convicted defender Marley Williams faces a possible club ban or even a league suspension.
Williams will be sentenced in April for the attack on 29-year-old Matthew Robertson outside a West Australian nightclub during the Christmas holidays in 2012.
Robertson received a broken jaw in the incident, and Judge Julie Wager has warned Williams the offence would usually attract an immediate prison term.
The 20-year-old Williams had been named in Collingwood's squad for Sunday's practice game against Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium.
"I'll be careful on commenting on that at the moment," AFL football operations manager Mark Evans told a news conference on Thursday.
"I'm aware there are some discussions between Andrew Dillon (AFL General Counsel), Brett Clothier (AFL Integrity Services Manager) and Collingwood today so I don't want to pre-empt any of those.
"I'm sure you'll hear about those in due course."
Collingwood's season opens against Fremantle at Etihad Stadium on March 14.
Asked if Williams could become a target for fan abuse if allowed to play on, Evans said: "That has happened in the past in rare instances."
In 2013 Carlton suspended defender Heath Scotland for two games after the player pleaded guilty to an assault charge and was placed on a two-year good behaviour bond.
Geelong coach Chris Scott said on Thursday that every case was different.
"The important thing from a club perspective, we've got to be careful that we don't try to compare two cases that might have different issues at their heart," Scott said.
"We try to treat every player as an individual and treat each case on its merits. It's a dangerous thing to compare Marley's situation to previous examples."
Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury said on Wednesday the Magpies were fully supporting Williams.