London (AFP) - Republic of Ireland flanker Sean O'Brien has resisted the lure of French giants Toulon and signed a new contract with Leinster, the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) announced on Thursday.
The 26-year-old had been linked with a move to Top 14 side Toulon, but he has given the IRFU a boost by committing to a new two-year central contract.
"The IRFU and Leinster are pleased to announce that Sean O'Brien has signed a new two-year contract with the IRFU which will see him remain at Leinster until at least June 2016," read a statement released by the IRFU.
O'Brien attended Toulon's European Cup game with Cardiff in Nice on Saturday as a guest of the French club, but he has decided to stay with his home province.
"It is flattering to find yourself the subject of interest from some of the biggest rugby clubs in the world, but in the end I made a decision based on the standard mix of professional and personal considerations," O'Brien said.
"It was a very difficult decision but, with a World Cup next year and the fact that I believe Leinster can continue to win trophies, I have decided to commit my immediate future to the club."
IRFU chief executive Philip Browne said: "Sean is one of world rugby's stand-out talents.
"He has proven for Leinster, Ireland and the Lions that he is a world-class player, and we are delighted that Sean has committed his future to Leinster and Ireland for the next two years."
The IRFU will now hope to persuade O'Brien's Leinster team-mate Jamie Heaslip to follow suit. His contract expires at the end of the season and he is also reportedly considering an offer from Toulon.