The Sonny Bill Williams-Francois Botha boxing controversy has taken another twist with a report that the South African heavyweight has tested positive to a banned substance.
Williams' unanimous points victory in Brisbane on Friday night has caused outcry ever since after the advertised World Boxing Association International title fight was cut from 12 rounds to 10 at the last minute.
Now the Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that 44-year-old Botha has tested positive to the banned stimulant phentermine after giving a urine sample last Tuesday.
The Fairfax website is also reporting that Botha had benzodiazapine in his system, which suggested he was using valium. The tests have reportedly been sent to the WBA HQ in Panama.
Sports doctor Peter Larkin said the two substances had an opposite effect.
"One puts you to sleep, one keeps you awake," leading sports doctor Peter Larkin told Fairfax.
"Phentermine is part of the go-fast group, as I call them, which is similar category to all of the adrenalin amphetamines.
"Anything that is a stimulant that keeps you awake and improves your reflexes."
The report says the test was taken on behalf of the WBA, although it does not say who administered the test as there was no WBA official at the fight and Queensland is the only State in Australia where boxing is not run by a government combat sports authority.
Boxing worldwide does not have a standard drug test and the Australian National Boxing Federation normally just tests for hepatatits B and C, HIV and kidney damage.
It is also unclear when the reported test result came out.
Confusion surrounded Botha's apparent positive test late on Sunday night, with Australian National Boxing Federation committee member John Hogg casting doubt on the reports.
Hogg told News Limited there were no compulsory performance enhancing drugs tests required for boxers in Queensland and he had never heard of Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority spot-testing professional boxers in Queensland.
"I would think I would have heard about ASADA testing Botha or Sonny Bill because they have never showed up to boxing gyms in Queensland or on fight night," said Hogg, the ANBF Queensland representative who sent Botha for his full medical last week.
Botha was stripped of the IBF heavyweight title in 2005 after testing positive for a steroid.
New Zealand dual rugby international Williams was hanging on at the final bell and Botha claimed he had not been informed of the change of distance, saying he had been denied the chance of victory. However, his promoter Thinus Strydom admitted he was told of the switch just before the fight but said he kept his fighter in the dark.
Yesterday, WBA Oceania representative Brad Vocale said the fight "defrauded" the public and even expressed doubt that the WBA had actually sanctioned the bout.
"This fight was advertised as a WBA international fight, I had my doubts as to whether it actually was really sanctioned by the WBA.
"Francois Botha has got just right to feel aggrieved, simply because he would have signed a contract stating a 12-round fight."Sadly boxing has been given a black eye again."
Do the Eagles get away with ducking when tackled?Vote
Do you have a story for us to investigate?
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.