Mitchell Johnson's odds of securing an Ashes berth have shortened, with the left-arm quick released from the one-day tour of India to ramp up his red-ball preparation.
Johnson will fly out of India on Thursday night, missing Saturday's series-deciding fixture in Bangalore, and arrive back in Perth on Friday.
The 31-year-old is not believed to have any injury concerns, and the early exit is purely to ensure he is available for Western Australia's Sheffield Shield clash against South Australia starting next Wednesday.
Ashes certainties Shane Watson and Brad Haddin, as well as the likely No.6 George Bailey and fellow hopefuls Phil Hughes and James Faulkner, will all stay on to play the final ODI in Bangalore.
After Saturday's game, they will fly out of India on Sunday, arriving back in Australia on Monday - leaving precious little time to prepare for their respective states' four-day games.
Chairman of selectors John Inverarity said this week that there were no guarantees all would back up to play in the second round of the Shield less than two days after returning to Australia.
The Gabba Test squad will be announced on November 12, with one more Shield game to be played after that date - but before the first Test, which starts on November 21.
The clash with the Redbacks will give Johnson, who has played just two Tests this year, one first class appearance to prove to selectors he is worthy of a recall.
"Mitch has performed very well in India, however, we believe it is best for his preparation ahead of a busy summer to have him return home to increase his bowling loads in preparation for the Ashes Test window," CA's general manager of team performance, Pat Howard, said in a statement.
A healthy, in-form quick is a valuable commodity for Michael Clarke's group, with four seamers set to miss most, or all, of the Ashes.
Australia will already be without injured foursome James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Jackson Bird and Pat Cummins for the start of the Ashes.
All have back injuries, with Pattinson and Bird expected to be fit for the later Tests.
As such, Australia has been careful in managing Johnson's workload during the limited overs tour, resting him from the one-off Twenty20 game at the start of the month.
While the ongoing ODI tour in India has seen countless batting records broken and been played exclusively on batsman-friendly wickets, Johnson has been the standout performer with the ball.
With seven wickets, Johnson is the equal leading wicket-taker for the series - alongside Indian pair Ravi Ashwin and Vinay Kumar, both of whom have inferior averages.
He's been called on to stem the flow of runs on occasion, and has regularly shredded India's powerful middle order - making bunnies of Suresh Raina and Yuvraj Singh.
"I know there's been a lot of runs scored and a lot of big scores, but from my point of view Mitch has been man of the series so far for me," Australian offspinner Xavier Doherty said this week.