Star Warriors all-rounder Mitch Marsh has this morning boarded a flight to Melbourne where he is to be assessed for the severe hamstring injury he suffered during WA's loss to South Australia in Saturday's one-day fixture.
Speaking at the airport, Marsh said he would see a surgeon tomorrow and would likely have surgery this week before returning to Perth for his recovery.
The 21-year-old is now unlikely to take part in Perth Scorchers' Twenty20 Big Bash campaign.
Marsh said this latest setback, which came after he and his brother Shaun were dropped after a boozy night following the Scorchers' ill-fated Champions League tournament in South Africa, was really disappointing.
"It's the first hamstring I have done, so it came as a bit of a shock," he said.
"It's been a different couple of months for me but since I got back from South Africa I felt like I had been doing all the right things.
"We won our first game last week in Sheffield Shield and it was a great feeling around the squad and with Justin (Langer) coming as the coach - although he has only been there for a couple of days - the feeling has already changed and it has been fantastic."
Marsh, whose injury is believed to be similar to that suffered by AFL stars Daniel Kerr and Mark Nicoski, said he was still unsure of how long he would be on the sidelines but said it would be at least a couple of months.
"At this stage I have got a high-grade tear in my left hamstring and it has gone up to the tendon," he said.
"Obviously it is really disappointing for me to be out for a long period of time but I have just got to be as positive as I can now and get back as soon as I can."Marsh said he had his fingers crossed that he might be able to return towards the end of the season.
Do you have a story for us to investigate?
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.