Advertisement

Try Sailing on Koombana Bay

Steve Sterling caught the sailing bug after moving to Bunbury last year and recommends people take part in the free Try Sailing Day at the Koombana Bay Sailing Club this Sunday.

Steve Sterling was so keen to take up sailing when he moved to Australia, that he chose Bunbury as his new home.

The self-confessed speed fanatic joined the Koombana Bay Sailing Club last year and took up twilight sailing on Wednesday nights and racing at weekends.

The club assigned him to a boat where Mr Sterling spent a season honing his skills as a crew member under the guidance of some of KBSC’s experienced sailors.

“I’d done some dinghy sailing when I was younger with my dad and then I took up windsurfing,” he said.

“Later on I did a couple of sailing courses.

“When I moved to Australia I looked at the best places to sail and rock climb, and chose Bunbury as the place to live.

“I hadn’t sailed in eight years, but it was like riding a bike, it all came back.

“It’s not very difficult to learn sailing, but once you have, you can harness the power of nature and go wherever you want.”

Mr Sterling gained so much confidence he now has a catamaran, which he aims to sail when he is not crewing or working as a physiotherapist at Osh Group in Bunbury.

KBSC will hold a free Try Sailing Day this Sunday from 10am to 2pm.

Commodore David Doherty said the club welcomed members of all ages and abilities.

“You don’t have to own a boat to learn how to sail,” Mr Doherty said.

“We provide all the training and I would encourage anyone who has ever wanted to sail to come down and have a go.”