The South West Autumn Racing Carnival has continued to expand, after several more sideshows were last week revealed by racing industry heavyweights last week.
RWWA marketing manager Alister Shennan joined Bunbury Turf Club chairman Craig Chadwick to make the announcements at a glittering function at Bunbury Tower.
The carnival will include:
• The “Bayside Beat” concert, featuring The Cat Empire, at the Graham Bricknell Music Shell on March 9.
• An aquathon (1.5km run, 1km swim, 5km run) organised by Bunbury Triathlon Club on March 9.
• A $30,000 stakes increase for the AHA Cup.
• Viva Bunbury Latin festival on March 13.
• A sportsman’s dinner on March 13.
• A Leschenault Inlet Horse Swim and Bunbury Cup Calcutta on March 13.
The carnival, in its fourth year, encompasses the BTC’s three major race meetings — the $80,000 AHA Cup (March 3), the $100,000 Bunbury Stakes (March 10) and the $110,000 Bunbury Cup (March 14).
The South West Fashion Festival (March 7-9), will also coincide with the carnival.
BTC president Craig Chadwick said the club had worked hard over the past decade to push several supporting events to compliment the action on the track.
He said the carnival had a major social and economic impact on the greater Bunbury region.
He also urged the State Government and RWWA to continue their support of the events.
“We hope Eventscorps’ Country Cups assistance is the start of a new era for the Bunbury Turf Club, ” he said.
RWWA marketing manager Alister Shennan described the events as paramount to the industry.
“We’re very excited about what we might be able to create in this region, ” he said.
“Bunbury has always been a well run club. The partnership we’re bringing to the table is going to be very powerful in terms of trying to bring more people in to racing.”