Two Coolgardie men were lucky to escape a house fire on Friday night after installing a smoke alarm only days before.
Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie firefighters were called to a Battery Road residence about 11.15pm where they found two men trying to save their house.
The fight proved futile, but Kalgoorlie Fire Station officer Martin Cable said the decision to install a smoke alarm had saved their lives.
“They had only just fitted smoke alarms this week and that’s what woke them up,” he said.“Hard-wired, working smoke alarms save lives and it saved these two blokes’ lives.”
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.