Almost all the 250 Qantas ground workers at Adelaide airport will be offered voluntary redundancies, according to officials of two unions.
About 100 baggage handlers and 150 service staff, including check-in workers, were informed by management of the redundancies on Thursday morning, they said.
- Qantas to slash 5000 jobs
- PM says no blame on Qantas over job cuts
- [Airline posts $235m half-year loss|http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/21723828/qantas-to-slash-5-000-jobs-posts-235m-half-year-loss/]
These jobs are in addition to the 150 jobs Qantas had previously announced would go when Adelaide's Q-Catering facility closed at the end of March.
SA/NT Transport Workers Union aviation organiser Matthew Spring said the baggage handlers were in shock and angry.
"They feel they are being punished again after they improved productivity after the last round of redundancies," he told AAP.
"My opinion is that if 100 baggage handlers put up their hands, Qantas will take all 100."
SA/NT Australian Services Union secretary Joseph Scales said the 150 services workers also were shell-shocked and angry.
"They feel flat, they feel a bit let down," he told AAP.
"Many of them have been with Qantas for more than 20 years. They cared for the national carrier."
Mr Scales said Qantas had not consulted with the union, which had to watch the stock exchange announcement like everyone else.
The SA government has not responded to calls about the Qantas announcement.