A Melbourne go-karting camp gave a boy who died of anaphylaxis a macadamia biscuit despite being warned about his nut allergy, an inquest has heard.
Jack Irvine, 15, went into anaphylactic shock after eating the biscuit during a go-karting camp in September 2012 and died six days later.
An inquest has heard his family filled in a form letting camp organisers know about his allergy before sending him to the Oakleigh camp.
Counsel assisting the inquest Tania Cristiano said a staff shortage at the camp meant that lunch was ordered from Subway.
She said Jack ate the biscuit without knowing it had nuts.
Lawyer Fiona Ellis, for the Victorian Karting Association, formally apologised to the Irvine family at the inquest on Monday.
"The Victorian Karting Association expresses its condolences to the family and friends of Jack Irvine," Ms Ellis told the Victorian Coroners Court.
Ms Ellis said the camp organisers did not have processes in place for handling allergic reactions, or adequate first aid plans.
She said the association was retraining staff to better deal with preventing such incidents in the future.