The NSW government has been accused of "sitting on its hands" following reports that cabinet had approved a plan to tackle alcohol related violence 16 months ago but did nothing.
After weeks of public pressure, Premier Barry O'Farrell announced on Thursday that the government would urgently consider measures to tackle alcohol fuelled assaults in Sydney.
Among the suite of measures that would go before cabinet were proposals to improve the regulation of alcohol licensing regulation, he said.
But the ABC reported on Friday that Mr O'Farrell had a plan sitting on his desk for the past 16 months.
A leaked email from September 2012 reportedly shows that cabinet approved "in principle the introduction of a periodic fee system to commence from July 2013", the ABC reported.
Under the plan, pubs, clubs and bottle shops would reportedly pay the cost of regulation through an annual fee, with riskier venues paying more.
Deputy opposition leader Linda Burney said it was "unforgivable that the O'Farrell government has sat for 16 months on a Cabinet recommendation to implement risk-based licensing - yet failed to act".
"This appears to be a clear-cut case of the liquor lobby vetoing a policy it doesn't like and Barry O'Farrell meekly accepting his marching orders," she said in a statement.
She called for a number of measures to be immediately introduced, including a new risk-based licensing fee structure for hotels and bottleshops, providing a financial incentive for responsible alcohol service.
It comes after the father of a Sydney teenager who was punched in Kings Cross used his son's funeral service on Friday to call for change on alcohol-fuelled violence.
Addressing a crowd of around 300 mourners at the public memorial, Daniel Christie's father Michael said it was up to politicians to "set frameworks and guidelines to stop this insanity".
"If change is to be, it's up to each and every one of us."
The 18-year-old died in hospital last weekend after being punched at the late night strip on New Year's Eve.
The premier's office has been contacted for comment.
Hospitality Minister George Souris said he would not comment on cabinet meetings.
He added that the Independent Liquor Act Review released late last year recommended the implementation of a risk-based licensing scheme.
"The premier said yesterday a package of measures to address drug and alcohol fuelled violence will go to cabinet on Monday, including matters raised in the ABC report," Mr Souris said in a statement.