The NSW government refuses to introduce meaningful measures to combat alcohol-fuelled violence because the Liberal Party's booze policy is controlled by the "powerful" hotel lobby, the opposition says.
Premier Barry O'Farrell has also been described as "unbelievably stupid" for claiming earlier closing times, lock-outs and tighter restrictions on shots, wouldn't prevent assaults occurring earlier in the evening.
Strong calls have come from community and professional groups, including the NSW police association, for such measures to be brought in to help stop alcohol-fuelled violence, particularly king-hit attacks.
But opposition upper house leader Luke Foley doesn't believe the government will change it's alcohol policy.
"My concern is the characters who run (such as Mr O'Farrell) when it comes to liquor regulation," Mr Foley told reporters on Wednesday.
Former NSW Liberal state executive member and left faction leader Michael Photios is a lobbyist for the Australian Hotels Association (AHA) and Paul Nicolaou, the Liberal's main fund-raiser, is also chief executive of the AHA, Mr Foley said.
"The Libs are so compromised by their connection with the hotel industry that Mr O'Farrell's been unwilling and unable to do the right thing," Mr Foley said.
Mr Foley and Labor support the "Newcastle solution" - no shots after 10pm, lock-outs after 1am and 3am closures - and argue that bringing a similar program to areas such as Sydney's Kings Cross entertainment precinct will help reduce boozed-up bashings.
Associate Professor Peter Miller, who authored a five-year study into alcohol-related crime, said it was "very scary" that the premier was ignoring evidence.
After analysing five years' of data from Newcastle and interviewing 3949 drinkers, Prof Miller concluded that the measures would help reduce alcohol-fuelled violence in Sydney.
Mr O'Farrell has been on holiday as the heated debate over alcohol and violence raged over the holiday period.
But NSW Hospitality Minister George Souris said on Wednesday that the government stood by figures showing that since tough measures were introduced at Kings Cross in December 2012, there had been a significant drop in assaults in licensed premises.
He said Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research figures showed that across the summer period between December 7, 2012 and March 31, 2013, 47 incidents were reported on licensed premises in the newly expanded Kings Cross precinct.
That compared with 70 in the same period in the previous year, representing a 33 per cent reduction, Mr Souris said in a statement.
But the figures also show that although assaults in licensed premises at the Cross had dropped, assaults outside such venues had remained stable.