A man charged with indecently assaulting a five-year-old boy in a Sydney public toilet will remain in custody following a brief court appearance.
Police say Mark Ljucovic approached the boy inside a public toilet block in Manly in Sydney's north at about 7pm (AEDT) on Friday and attempted to indecently assault him.
A few minutes later, the boy left the toilet block and told his mother who had been waiting outside.
The 70-year-old was later arrested at nearby Shelley Beach.
But on Saturday, Ljucovic's solicitor Carrie Nicol told Parramatta Court that there was a lack of identification evidence.
She said one and a half hours passed between the time of the alleged offence and the arrest of the pensioner.
There had been no identification line-up, she said.
The court heard Ljucovic's record was not "lengthy" and that he had not come under the notice of police for more than 20 years.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Richard McDonald said it was also the "first matter of this kind" that the pensioner had been to court for.
Nevertheless, Sgt McDonald opposed bail.
After the court asked for further information in regard to Ljucovic allegedly suffering from depression, Ms Nicol withdrew his bail application and sought an adjournment.
His matter will return to Central Local Court next week.