John Joyce has a challenge for his local pro-shop - rebuild his beloved golf clubs which partly melted when flames roared through his Winmalee home.
"Only the heads of the clubs survived. The shafts were just liquorice," Mr Joyce told AAP.
"I thought of taking them to the pro and saying 'Can you reshaft these?' as a joke."
He had been out having a hit of golf on Thursday morning, not knowing it would be the last hurrah for his clubs.
Their home was rubble by the afternoon.
His wife Joan was out on the tennis court the same morning.
She'd left her racquet on the bed, and when the couple returned to inspect the damage, it disintegrated in her hands.
They've lived in the Blue Mountains for 40 years and are adamant they'll rebuild.
"This one just came up too fast," Mr Joyce said.
Flames were about 10 metres away from their house as they made the dash to the car to drive to safety.
There was no time to grab any possessions.
"You looked out the window and there was 40 foot (12 metre) flames," he said.
Mrs Joyce said it was incredible what the heat intensity had done to household items.
The toilet seat and bath tub had completely disappeared.
A tin containing tennis fees survived, but the cash had turned to a ball of ash inside.