From an edible garden to an up-market deli precinct and cooking demonstrations, the IGA Fresh from WA Pavilion is a foodie destination.
See your favourite vegies grow from seedling stage to crunch time and sample them with delicious dips, including avocado, French onion, spicy capsicum and tzatziki.
Last year, about 70,000 samples were handed out.
At the Perth Royal Deli, you can choose from a selection of Harvey Cheese, Chapman River and Third Pillar olive oils, Wallis Mangoes' jams, chutneys and sauces, West N Fresh yoghurt, Fremantle Chocolate Factory truffles, WA wines and beers from Feral Brewing Company and Nail Brewing.
As you go in, pick up an IGA Follow the Yellow Brick Road bag - one of the healthiest buys at the Show. Included are four pieces of fresh fruit, plus a small cookbook.
- Apprentice butchers will get out the knives for the IGA/AMIC Apprentice Butcher Competition on Sunday and Monday, noon-2pm. The mission: to slice, trim, cut and present the meat on a tray for a panel of industry experts. Presentation will be marked on a wow factor.
- The Australian Meat Industry Council's annual Sausage King competition will take place on October 4-5, noon-2pm. The mission: to snag top spot across a range of categories, including barbecue, continental and poultry. Points are awarded for uncooked and cooked appearance, flavour and texture.
Catch up with chefs in the IGA kitchen. Cooking demonstrations will be held every day, on the hour, from 10am-5pm as follows:
- Saturday-October 6 at 10am and 11am: Noelene Swain, of Fresh Finesse, kicks off each day with scrumptious morsels made from the day's freshest local produce.
- Saturday, Sunday and October 6 at noon and 1pm: Israeli-born Riki Kaspi, of The Cooking Professor, specialises in North African and Middle Eastern cuisine.
- Saturday-Sunday at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 5pm: Chef Dale Sniffen, who has worked in some of the top restaurants in WA, shows his skills in the kitchen.
- Monday-Tuesday at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 5pm: Taste Budds owner and chef extraordinaire Sophie Budd cooks up a storm.
- Wednesday at noon-3pm: Dale Sniffen.
- Wednesday at 4pm and 5pm: meet Rohan Wills, who spent almost seven years touring as a chef with various superstars, including Madonna, Rod Stewart, George Michael and the Eagles.
- October 4-October 6 at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 5pm: Dale Sniffen.