- 230g caster sugar, plus extra for tray *
- 1/2 vanilla pod, seeds only *
- 1 tsp apple or cider vinegar *
- 80g pistachios, finely chopped *
- 400g thickened cream, lightly whipped *
- 20g pistachios, finely chopped *
Preheat oven to 120C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper and sprinkle with a teaspoon of caster sugar, then set aside. In a clean bowl, using electric beaters, beat egg whites until soft-peak stage, slowly add sugar and continue to beat until sugar has dissolved. Beat in vanilla, vinegar and pistachios until just combined. Spoon meringue into centre of baking tray and form into a circle, smoothing sides in an upwards motion. Pop into oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Turn off oven, leaving pavlova in until completely cooled. To serve, top with cream and sprinkle with pistachios and cherries.