A Mindarie university student who is believed to be the second young Australian to have suffered from suspected methanol poisoning in recent days while holidaying in Bali says she fears others will continue to fall ill or even die.
Tess Mettam, 19, was halfway through a 10-day trip to Bali when she decided to visit the popular Bounty nightclub in Kuta.
She had visited the club a few evenings before and felt she could trust the venue because of the number of tourists who visited the nightclub without any concerns.
After finishing her second “blaster” cocktail, purporting to contain vodka, midori, lemonade and juice, she started to feel ill.
“All of a sudden I couldn’t see and I started freaking out,” she said.
The 19-year-old ran into one of her brother’s friends, who quickly escorted her to the Red Frogs tent on the main strip.
She was then placed on a scooter to be taken to an ambulance before being transported to Sanglah hospital, where she was met by her father, Jim.
The night before Miss Mettam’s incident, New South Wales schoolie Jasmine Baker was also taken to hospital suffering suspected methanol poisoning after she is believed to have consumed a “jungle juice” from the Bounty bar.
Miss Mettam stayed at Sanglah hospital for two days where doctors dismissed her methanol concerns, instead putting her symptoms down to “intoxication”.
Miss Mettam, who had visited Bali three times before this latest trip, said she no longer felt safe on the island.
“It is going to keep happening unless something (is done).”