A Brookdale day care centre has been evacuated this morning after a fire at a neighbouring property, witnesses say.
A nearby resident said he saw “toxic smoke” and some flames coming from the roof and what he believed was an air-conditioning unit at the Tijuana Road house.
Children were moved across the road to a park as fire crews fought the blaze, which started about 9.15am.
The resident said the damage seemed to be contained to the interior and roof of the single storey brick home.
“There is a big hole in the roof,” he said.
It is believed no one was at the house at the time but a resident returned while firefighters were there.