At least 68 people are now confirmed to have been killed in an ongoing Nairobi shopping mall siege, Kenya's Red Cross says, after nine more bodies were recovered.
The bodies were taken out of the mall shortly after Kenyan troops launched an assault on cornered Somali militants, who are still holding hostages inside the sprawling building, updating an earlier toll of 59.
Kenyan police said a "major" assault by security forces was ongoing to end the two-day siege.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Canberra confirmed overnight that a dual Australian-UK national was among the victims.
"This will end tonight. Our forces will prevail. Kenyans are standing firm against aggression, and we will win," Kenya's Disaster Operations Centre said.
Kenyan troops backed by Israeli agents have cornered the Somali militants holding hostages inside the mall.
Sporadic gunfire rang out as Kenyan security officials said they were trying to kill or capture the remaining attackers and end the bloodbath at the upmarket Westgate mall, with the standoff now well into a second day.
A major explosion that rocked the mall on Sunday afternoon was by far the largest in the 30-hour siege.
The big blast was followed by silence.
Kenyan troops were seen carrying in at least two rocket propelled grenades.
Earlier on Sunday Kenyan army helicopters hovered over the mall.
"The criminals are now all located in one place within the building... we have as good a chance to successfully neutralise the terrorists as we can hope for," President Uhuru Kenyatta said in a speech.
Kenyatta, who called for patience, said he had received "numerous offers of assistance from friendly countries" but that for now it remained a Kenyan operation.
However, a Kenyan security source confirmed that Israelis "are rescuing the hostages and the injured".
The Israeli foreign ministry refused to confirm or deny its forces were involved.
Terrified witnesses recounted scenes of horror as the masked gunmen tossed grenades and sprayed automatic gunfire in the packed centre in a brazen attack around midday on Saturday, sending panicked shoppers fleeing for their lives.
Somalia's al-Shabab rebels said the carnage at the partly Israeli-owned complex was in retaliation for Kenya's military intervention in Somalia, where African Union troops are battling the Islamists.
"They shall not get away with their despicable and beastly acts," Kenyatta said in an emotional speech.
"We will punish the masterminds swiftly, and indeed very painfully."
More than 1000 people have been rescued, but between 10 to 15 attackers - reportedly both men and women - are holding out in the multi-storey complex "as well as many unarmed, badly shaken, innocent civilians", Kenyatta said.
Kenyatta said a nephew and his fiancee were among those killed.
A DFAT spokesman said: "The Australian government deeply regrets this senseless loss of life and extends deepest sympathies to the family of the victim.
"It is not appropriate to name the individual."
Consular assistance will be extended to the family of the person killed, but no identifying details have been released.
DFAT says it's received confirmation that two Canadian nationals have been killed, including a diplomat, and the French government has advised that two of its nationals are among the victims.
One New Zealand national has been confirmed as injured.
"The situation on the ground remains fluid," DFAT's spokeswoman said.
"DFAT has received advice from several Australians who were caught up in the attack and managed to escape to safety."
Among them is Melbourne woman Sarah Williamson, who reportedly survived by huddling in a phone store.
The 23-year-old was in the mall with her father, who works for the UN, when she heard the first explosions.
"She heard the first grenade go off and said, `What was that, dad?'," her mother Linda has told Fairfax Radio Network.
"Then he heard the guns firing and he knew exactly what it was and he said, `We're under attack, everybody to the back of the room.'"
The Eltham woman spent six hours trapped in the store before she could run to safety.
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has condemned the terrorist attack and expressed her sympathy to Kenyans and President Uhuru Kenyatta, who has lost family members in the incident.
"The thoughts of all Australians are with the victims and their families," she said in a statement.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott was briefed on the unfolding crisis earlier on Sunday.
Australians still in Kenya have been urged to avoid all public places in Nairobi for the next 24-48 hours and closely monitor local media.
People with concerns about family or friends in Kenya should try to contact them directly or if unsuccessful phone the DFAT consular emergency centre on (02) 6261 3305.