The late-Kerry Packer is the boss that keeps on giving after the story of his 1970s raid on world cricket provided the Nine Network with a mega ratings hit on Sunday night.
The first episode of Howzat! Kerry Packer's War, about his run-in with cricket hierarchy while he put together the rebel cricket fixture World Series Cricket, pulled a massive 2.097 million viewers.
The figure was only slightly behind the launch of Nine's other massive hit this year The Voice, which pulled 2.177 million viewers on its opening night back in April.
The second and final episode of Howzat! Kerry Packer's War will screen next Sunday night on Nine, the network that Packer used to own.
Seven News was second on Sunday with 1.513 million viewers, followed by 60 Minutes (1.512 million) and Nine News (1.402 million).
Nine's reboot of Big Brother held steady in the ratings to be fifth with 1.365 million viewers.
Seven's Sunday Night, which featured a story about boat journeys of asylum seekers, was sixth with 1.289 million viewers.
Network Ten's biggest ratings success was the finale of MasterChef All Stars, taken out by series two runner-up Callum Hann, pulling 1.050 million watchers to be seventh.
The return of the foxy hornbags in Kath & Kim in Souvenir Editions pulled 909,000 viewers for Seven to be eighth.
The ABC rounded out the top 10 with ABC News (822,000) in ninth and Grand Designs Revisited (809,000) finishing 10th.
Ten's reworked reality show Everybody Dance Now had a marginal improvement on its previous two shows with 384,000 viewers on Sunday night, to be 20th overall in the ratings, but well down on what's expected of a program in prime-time.
Top ratings shows on Sunday night.
1. Howzat! Kerry Packer's War (Pt 1) - 2.097 million
2. Seven News (Seven) - 1.513 million
3. 60 Minutes (Nine) - 1.512 million
4. Nine News (Nine) - 1.402 million
5. Big Brother (Nine) - 1.365 million
6. Sunday Night (Seven) - 1.289 million
7. MasterChef All Stars Winner Announcement (Ten) - 1.050 million
8. Kath & Kim: The Souvenirs Editions (Seven) - 909,000
9. ABC News (ABC) - 822,00010. Grand Designs Revisited (ABC) - 809,000