Liam Neeson's action film Taken 2 has thrilled at the Australian box office, taking more than $7.5 million in its opening weekend.
The sequel to the 2008 hit Taken claimed the top spot, pushing the animated zoo animals of Madagascar down a notch.
After three weeks at the top Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted sits in second place, earning $3.146 million at the weekend for a total of more than $21 million at Australian cinemas.
School holidays kept earnings high for films including Hotel Transylvania, Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Dog Days and Tinkerbell and the Secret of the Wings, finishing the weekend at No.3, No.4 and No.10 respectively.
American sci-fi action film Looper continues its good run, earning more than $2 million at the weekend to finish in fourth place.
PJ Hogan's Australian film Mental, starring Toni Collette and Anthony LaPaglia, has finished in sixth spot, while The Sapphires sits at No.9, with total earnings of $13.789 million after nine weeks in cinemas.
Top 10 at the Australian Box Office this weekend:
1. Taken 2 - $7.648 million (Fox)
2. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - $3.146 million (Paramount)
3. Hotel Transylvania - $2.214 million (Sony Pictures)
4. Looper $2.016 million (Roadshow)
5. Diary Of a Wimpy Kid - Dog Days $1.457 million (Fox)
6. Mental - $1.096 million (Universal)
7. Arbitrage - $521,532 (Madman)
8. The Watch - $325,388 (Fox)
9. The Sapphires - $207,591 (Eone/Hopscotch)10. Tinkerbell And The Secret of the Wings - $202,785 (Walt Disney)