Guy Sebastian has downplayed news that his Perth-raised pal and last year's X Factor winner Samantha Jade is being sued by her former record label.
"It's a much smaller deal than people are making out to be," the Foxtel Play ambassador, left, told AAA at an event for the pay-TV network in Sydney on Wednesday night.
"This guy is a serial suer and he's an opportunist and he's clutching at straws.
"It's a part of the business; I've been sued. Someone just legitimately made up the fact he was my manager a couple of years ago and I had to pay him out a lot of money."
Sebastian - who was replaced as coach by Redfoo on The X Factor this year - has been working on his new album at his Los Angeles base for the past few months but that hasn't meant him missing an episode of the ratings-winning Seven show.
"The EP (executive producer) of the show sends me a link every time it's on," he said.
"I'm still so passionate and there are people I like and people I don't get.
"I really like Taylor's tone and I like Dami but I think they're yet to stamp the artist she is."
While Sebastian is still a fan of the show, he isn't regretting his decision to leave.
"I don't think it was a case of wrong, it was just a natural progression for me," he explained. "Battlescars has just gone platinum in the US. I got a record deal out of it and I'm trying to keep motoring and making music."
Battlescars - a collaboration with rapper Lupe Fiasco - is currently getting high rotation on US radio after being used in Oprah Winfrey's new film, The Butler.
After returning to Australia from LA last weekend and rejoining his wife Jules(who also works for Foxtel) and their son Hudson at home in Sydney, the 31-year-old insists the family aren't planning a shift to the US.
"LA is for work, it's not a home," he said. "Hudson will be in school in four years . . . we're very keen to stay here. I can't just uproot everyone, Sydney is home.
"I don't want to slag LA but we're not LA people."Holly Richards flew to Sydney as a guest of Foxtel.