Jon Bon Jovi found out about his daughter Stephanie Bongiovi's drug overdose in the "worst phone call ever".
The 51-year-old rocker was horrified when the 19-year-old college student was rushed to hospital in November after being found unresponsive in her dorm room at Hamilton College in Kirkland, New York.
He told chat show host Katie Couric: "Worst phone call ever.
"Now she's doing great and I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers but in short, that problem is much more of a problem than I knew and I can't get over how many people have said, 'My son, my daughter'.
"There is a lot of pressure on kids these days.
"I'm just blessed she's healthy and whole and we'll get through it."
Jon previously admitted he and his wife Dorothea were devastated at the teenager's "sudden and steep decline" when drugs including heroin and marijuana were reportedly found in her room.
He said: "I didn't have any sisters. We bring home this girl the first day. Now what? Where's the manual? There was no manual. So you bring her up the best you can, you surround her with hugs and kisses and know that she may eventually fall down.
"I'm shocked as much as the next parent with this situation and had no idea. But then you surround them with the best help and love and move on, and that's where we're at with it.
"Steph is a great kid.
"Cool school, Hamilton College up in Clinton, New York."Everything about it is idyllic. She was doing great. Then a sudden and steep decline."
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.