France has reported zero growth in the second quarter as consumer spending shrank and imports grew.
The official Insee statistics agency released preliminary estimates today in line with its earlier forecast of zero growth for gross domestic product in the quarter. It is the third straight quarter without growth.
The central bank and analysts had forecast a 0.1 per cent contraction for the quarter.
France has so far avoided a new recession even as other European economies have succumbed amid the continent's debt crisis.
Insee also said consumer spending shrank and imports grew more than exports.Meanwhile Germany, Europe’s largest economy, has reported 0.3 per cent growth for the second quarter, the federal statistical office says.
The office said that the economy was helped by both consumer consumption and the balance of exports and imports.
The growth was slightly higher than the 0.2 per cent gain in gross domestic product predicted by many economists, but still represents a slowdown from the 0.5 per cent growth in the first quarter.The government is predicting overall growth of 0.7 per cent this year, though others are forecasting slightly more robust gains.
The new magazine for a new generation of West Australians.Click here to download the current edition »
All the latest market figures from Australia and the world.Click here »
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.