An iconic 198m chimney in Wollongong has fallen in a controlled explosive demolition, providing a spectacular show for onlookers.
Explosives were set off around the Port Kembla copper stack about 11.15am (AEDT) on Thursday.
Spectators cheered and clapped as the tower began to lean then fall, leaving a huge cloud of smoke and dust around the area.
Four hours after the show, residents from the exclusion zone were given the all clear to return home.
Tests detected no asbestos south, southwest, southeast or east of the site, a special website set up for the felling of the stack said.
Dust was found to the east and southeast of the site but short-term exposure to dust is "not considered to pose a risk to health".
Some locals had expressed concerns the chimney hadn't been properly assessed for asbestos.
Wollongong Councillor Vicki Curran moved an emergency motion this week to stop the demolition but it did not pass.
After the demolition, Ms Curran told AAP strong vibrations had concerned some residents in the exclusion zone who were now worried about the structural integrity of their homes and water pipes.
The dust cloud was "significant and widespread" and "not being contained on site as we'd been previously assured by Port Kembla Copper", she said.
Police began door knocking in the exclusion zone at 7.30am and residents were allowed to return just after 3pm.