An Iranian man is dead and five asylum seekers have been airlifted off Manus Island for medical treatment after two nights of riots at the detention centre left nearly 80 people injured and Australia's refugee policy under renewed attack.
One hundred extra security staff are on standby for deployment as tensions remain high following Monday night's chaos, which resulted in 77 asylum seekers suffering mostly head injuries.
An asylum seeker with a fractured skull has been sent to an unnamed Australian hospital.
Another who was shot in the buttocks has been transferred to Port Moresby for treatment, and three more injured men will follow.
Immigration Minister Scott Morrison faced media twice on Tuesday to dispel "wild stories", while a mid-evening update reported no further trouble on the island.
"This is a tragedy but this was a very dangerous situation where people decide to protest in a very violent way," Mr Morrison said.
"The tension is not a surprise and the tension will remain because of the nature of where people are and where they don't want to be."
A series of rolling protests started a few weeks ago with mostly peaceful demonstrations and culminated in the violence of the past two nights, Mr Morrison said.
"If you behave in an unruly way and in a disorderly way then you subject yourself to the response of law enforcement," he said.
PNG authorities are investigating the death, while Australia Immigration Department secretary Martin Bowles will also conduct a full review into the incident.
The PNG government said the individual was an Iranian who died in hospital from head injuries.
Mr Morrison hosed down claims that PNG police fired shots directly at asylum seekers, although he confirmed reports of gunfire at 11.20pm on Monday and 1am on Tuesday.
He could not confirm reports on the ground that local people had been involved in the fight and had been possibly armed with machetes.
Detention security provider G4S said asylum seekers broke through the perimeter fence after protesting for two days and rejected claims that locals had broken into the facility and attacked the residents.
"A number of transferees were injured after they breached the perimeter fence and the matter became a law enforcement issue for PNG authorities," it said in a statement.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott and his PNG counterpart Peter O'Neill discussed the incident on Tuesday.
Mr O'Neill said preliminary investigations suggest less than 50 per cent of the 1400 asylum seekers were involved and sent a delegation to Manus Island to investigate the break-out.
He reassured Mr Abbott his government is committed to the resettlement program.
Australian Greens leader Christine Milne is demanding the detention centre be immediately closed, describing the facility as a gulag.
"Ministerial responsibility has to mean something and Scott Morrison has to stop hiding," Ms Milne said.
The Refugee Council of Australia (RCOA) said the death and injuries is an "appalling tragedy and a failure of Australian government policy."
Council chief executive officer Paul Power called on the government to abandon offshore processing and resume prompt processing of refugee claims while asylum seekers are in the community.