A 70-year-old man was left devastated when his two-storey Booragoon home was destroyed by fire overnight.
Chas Phillips woke to find his Aldridge Road home on fire just after midnight.
He tried to put out the blaze, which started in the study, with a garden house but the flames spread too quickly.
Mr Phillips said he tried going back into the house twice to get his dog, but each time he was pulled out by his neighbour Caleb Lopdell.
“It was pitch-black and the smoke was about head high,” he said.
“I was worried sick about her and eventually after about two hours a fireman came out with the dog in his arms.
“He put her on the grass in front of me and she stood up and shook herself. She was right as rain.”
A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokeswoman said the fire destroyed the top floor and half of the bottom floor of the house.
She said the fire was sparked by a computer and caused about $600,000 damage to the home.
Five crews fought the blaze for about an hour before it was brought under control.
Mr Phillips lost nearly all of his possessions but managed to dig a few photos out of the rubble this morning.
He said he was lucky to have the help and support of his family and neighbours.