A gifted teenage student and budding rugby star was killed by toxic diet pills, an inquest has heard.
Chris Mapletoft, 18, died after taking 2,4-dinitrophenol (DNP), reports the Daily Mail.
Originally doctors believed the Twickenham teenager had contracted meningitis, but an inquest at West London Coroner's Court heard that toxicology results revealed the dangerous slimming aid caused his death.
Chris, a student at Hampton School in West London, is the 16th person to die in Britain after taking the drug in the last 10 years.
He fell ill at his home in Twickenham, where he lived with his parents and sister, on June 18 and died later that day.
Chris, a star player for Hampton's 1st XV rugby team, was awaiting his A-level results and had an offer to study business at a London university when he became ill in June.
Eight weeks after his death, his parents were told he had received the grades he needed for his chosen university.
DNP, commonly used in pesticides and food dye, is illegal to sell for human consumption but is widely available online.
It was banned in most developed countries in the 1930s after users suffered nausea, cataracts, skin lesions and an irregular heartbeat, among other side effects.
Those who have felt the effects of DNP have likened it to being 'cooked from the inside-out'.
Britain's Metropolitan Police has launched an investigation into the trade of the pills in a bid to curb the growing death rate.
"It is a poison which interferes with the normal way the body gets energy from fat. This can lead, as in this tragic case, to death from overheating," a spokesman said.