After a day of being condemned for their silence, the family of a teenage girl who was shot in her western Sydney home are talking to police.
On Tuesday morning, as the girl lay injured in hospital, NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell and the state's top officers vented their frustration at the family of the 13-year-old, who was shot by gunmen at her Blacktown home late on Monday night.
The men were reportedly looking to settle a score with the girl's brother, who is suspected of having links to the notorious Brothers 4 Life gang.
After having the door slammed in their faces, the men allegedly opened fire, hitting the girl in the back.
On Tuesday morning, Mr O'Farrell expressed outrage at the parents' lack of co-operation.
"What sort of parents, whose daughter's been injured in an attack like this, will not co-operate with police?" he asked.
Deputy Police Commissioner Nick Kaldas called on the family to take responsibility.
"This poor girl had nothing to do with anything, but someone in her family did," he said.
Late on Tuesday afternoon, it appeared the family's silence had been broken, with the premier issuing a statement saying family members were talking to police.
The girl's father told media on Tuesday his daughter was "settled", adding he was disappointed by the gunmen's actions.
"Everyone's disappointed in the community; they do the wrong thing," he said.
Inspector Dave Lagats said what police feared had become a reality after a string of recent shootings.
"Our greatest fears have now been reached ... an innocent person, a 13-year-old girl, has now become the victim of this type of senseless activity," he said.
Neighbours woken by the fracas thought they were hearing thunder or fireworks until the screaming began.
Father-of-three Sarn Pulefele lives two doors away on Sunnyholt Road and said he was woken by a loud bang.
"At first I thought it was thunder because I'd never heard guns before," Mr Pulefele told AAP.
"Then I got up and I could hear screaming. And then I realised someone's been shot."
A neighbour said police had been to the house before.
The latest incident comes after one man was killed and two were injured in shootings linked to Brothers 4 Life.
On Sunday, a 27-year-old man, named by media as suspected Brothers 4 Life gang member Michael Odisho, was found with multiple gunshot wounds at Winston Hills.
A man, believed to be the cousin of Brothers 4 Life boss Bassam Hamzy, was shot dead in Revesby a week ago and another man, Omar Ajaj, suffered multiple bullet wounds in the attack.
Police said it was too early to tell whether Monday's shooting was a revenge attack.
Mr Kaldas would not rule out that Hamzy might have influenced recent shootings from jail. He also refused to say whether the intended shooting target had been interviewed, or whether he was even at home during the attack.
However, Mr O'Farrell said a man had "fled out the back door" seconds before the shooting began.The NSW opposition accused Mr O'Farrell of allowing gun crime to spiral out of control.