Families of soldiers killed in Afghanistan have backed Defence's plan to destroy a memorial to the fallen at the Tarin Kowt base rather than bring it home.
Defence force chief General David Hurley said the contentious issue was discussed when 57 family members visited the base for a special commemorative ceremony on Saturday.
The visit included a service at the TK memorial, comprised of concrete blast wall panels, each weighing five tonnes, which lists the names of the 40 Australians killed in Afghanistan plus those of 74 US, Dutch and French soldiers killed while based in Oruzgan Province.
Defence has opted to destroy the memorial when it packs up at the end of this year.
A former soldier has launched an online petition - which has so far gathered about 10,000 signatures - to save the memorial.
General Hurley said family members discussed the future of the memorial during their visit.
"Taking into account all the issues that surround the wall - in particular that it is not uniquely Australian - the families brought a special insight into this matter and agreed to the plan to destroy the wall," he said in a statement.General Hurley said the destruction would be done respectfully and an appropriate historical record of the wall will be maintained.