Retired director-general of Health Kim Snowball will re- enter the political fray after returning from overseas to answer questions before a parliamentary committee investigating delays to Fiona Stanley Hospital.
Mr Snowball, who announced his departure on December 17 last year and stood down in March, said yesterday he was keen to "fill in some gaps" about delays to the $2 billion hospital.
The education and health standing committee is investigating who knew the hospital would be delayed and when, and will take evidence from Mr Snowball in public on Monday.
The committee has heard Mr Snowball was told in mid-December by the senior Health bureaucrat he hand-picked to oversee commissioning of the hospital that the project would be delayed.
But Health Minister Kim Hames, who went to the March election touting the project as "on time and on budget", has told Parliament Mr Snowball assured him before and after the election it would open in April next year as scheduled.
It was not until June 10 that Cabinet was formally told of the delays and Dr Hames announced the hospital's full operation had been pushed back a year because of information technology and recruitment problems.
Mr Snowball said he was concerned about suggestions he "had not acted or advised Government in respect to any delay associated with Fiona Stanley and took no action and that's just not true".
"Part of this is being able to demonstrate to the committee and to the wider community, including the health community, that I did a lot of due diligence around this stuff," he said.
He said he was in charge of the project and had been committed to a good outcome for the Government and the community "and that's exactly what I did".He agreed he told Dr Hames before and after the election that the April 2014 timeframe would be met and would explain on Monday why he retained that view.