The State Government’s controversial sex offender register has seen 10 offenders turn themselves in and received almost 100,000 hits since it was set up on October 15.
Police Minister Liza Harvey today said 10 offenders in breach of their conditions had turned themselves in after discovering they were on the site or about to have their names and photos posted online.
There are currently ten offenders in the tier one section of the website who police allege have broken their release conditions.
Police are not aware of any vigilante actions linked to the website, a spokesperson for the Minister said today.
Some 30,000 people have accessed the site using their drivers licence and location to determine if there were sex offenders in their area.
But there have only been seven applications to find out more information about individuals and if they are reportable sex offenders.
In six of those cases they were found not to be convicted offenders.
In April The West Australian revealed the site had been visited an average of 500 times a day but only four requests had been lodged by parents or carers seeking information about adults who have regular unsupervised contact with their children.
The statement issued by the Minister today did not reveal if the visitations had tapered off since it went live.
The online register includes three tiers that provide varying levels of access.
There are also different levels of information about different categories of child sex offenders.Legislation introduced with the register also includes penalties for vigilante behaviour and re-publication of information from the website.