The Governor of Bali has warned tourists to be careful what they drink after the death of 19-year-old Perth man Liam Davies.
"I hope that people only drink proper and official alcohol and not randomly mixed drinks where they don't know the source," Made Pastika said yesterday.
His statement - made in response to questions in Denpasar about Mr Davies' death - is one the first acknowledgments by Indonesian authorities of methanol poisoning on Bali and Lombok.
It also comes a week after Mr Davies' parents, Lhani and Tim, flew to Lombok to push for a belated manslaughter investigation into their son's death.
Mr Pastika, who was Bali's police chief during the 2002 bombing and its aftermath, has close ties to Australia and a strong working relationship with the Australian Federal Police.
Mr and Mrs Davies last week handed over their son's medical records to Lombok police and were assured that there would be an investigation.Mr Davies, who was on holiday with friends in Lombok, is believed to have unwittingly drunk a vodka-lime mix laced with methanol before he became violently ill and passed out on New Year's Day.
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.