A family friend of a prominent WA rugby player killed by methanol poisoning in Bali has launched a scathing attack on the original investigation by local authorities and called on the Federal Government to do more to stop further deaths.
Michael Denton, of Nedlands Rugby Union Football Club's premier grade team and a Western Force A-side representative, died on a trip with teammates for a tournament in September 2011.
The 29-year-old fly-half had been drinking at his hotel that afternoon before being found unconscious in his hotel room and later died. An autopsy revealed he was killed by methanol poisoning.
Mark Badham, Mr Denton's friend and the tour manager for the group, said his mate's friends and family went through "great pain and anguish" to find out how he died but local police "weren't interested". "Nobody was formally interviewed by the police, by the authorities," he said.
"The problem is with the Indonesian legal system and just the way they are because they are a Third World country. They don't care because for every young kid that dies over there, there's another thousand to replace them," he said.
"As long as people are buying their drinks and their clothes, they don't give a damn."
He has called on the Federal Government to force a better investigation into the latest suspected poisoning tragedy of Perth teenager Liam Davies."Australia could go through diplomatic channels and say to Bali 'Guys, you've got to clean up your act or we're going to start terminating the influx of tourists into your country because you're killing our people,'" Mr Badham said.
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.