The Perth teenager who was poisoned after drinking a methanol-laced cocktail in Indonesia has died.
Liam Davies, 19, had been fighting for life in a Perth hospital after being urgently flown back from the island of Lombok after a New Year party went horribly wrong.RELATED: Warning over toxic Bali brews
On holiday with friends, Mr Davies fell ill on New Year's Day and was transported back to Perth last Thursday.A spokeswoman for Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital confirmed on Sunday Mr Davies had died.
Mr Davies, a former representative of Australia's under-18 lacrosse team who had lived in New Zealand until the age of six, is the latest tourist to be affected by ingesting methanol while in Indonesia.A growing number of cases of methanol poisoning had previously led to Australian health authorities warning of the dangers of potential poisoning from drinking the local "arak" brew.
In September 2011, 29-year-old Perth-based rugby player Michael Denton, a New Zealander, died in Bali after consuming arak, which is described as a colourless, sugarless beverage with a 20 to 50 per cent alcohol content that is distilled from rice or palm sap.It is usually produced legally and safely, but unlicensed distillers also produce it, and a by-product of incorrect distillation is methanol.
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.