Perth barrister Lloyd Rayney will push for charges over the alleged bugging of his late wife Corryn's telephone to be thrown out in the wake of his recent acquittal of her murder, the District Court was told this morning.
Lawyer Philip Urquhart told District Court Chief Judge Peter Martino that the defence would be making a submission to Commonwealth prosecutors that as a result of the recently completed wilful murder trial, both charges should be discontinued.
Mr Rayney was acquitted of wilful murder and the alternative charge of manslaughter earlier this month after a three-month judge alone Supreme Court trial.
But prosecutors lodged an appeal against Justice Brian Martin's verdict last Thursday.
Mr Rayney is also facing two earlier charges under the Commonwealth Telecommunications Act alleging that he aided and abetted in interfering with his late wife's telephone lines before her death in 2007.
The Commonwealth case had been put on holding pending the outcome of the wilful murder trial.
Today, Mr Urquhart told the court that the telecommunications charges, which have been denied by Mr Rayney, would need to be listed for another review in about six months to allow for the appeal process to be completed in the wilful murder case.Judge Martino agreed it was the appropriate way to proceed and adjourned the matter until May 20.