Update, 5.40pm: Two people have been taken to hospital after an apartment fire in the Perth CBD this afternoon.
Five fire crews extinguished a fire on the fifth-floor of an apartment block on Hay street, near Bennett Street after it started at about 3.02pm.
Fire crews from Perth, Daglish, Osborne Park and Belmont attended the scene.
The blaze destroyed 80 per cent of the apartment and caused $500,000 of damage.
The owner of the apartment Sue said her son had been burning a candle in his bedroom and she believed he accidentally threw his doona onto the candle which started the fire.
He has been taken to Royal Perth Hospital after suffering superficial burns to his legs.
Her 19-year-old daughter has also been to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation.Hay Street has been re-opened from Plain Street to Bennett Street after a two-hour closure.
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.