Denise Morcombe has released her favourite photo of her son, exactly a year after a man was charged with murdering the Queensland teenager.
Mrs Morcombe had been saving the photo for Daniel's funeral service.
But there's been no word about when his remains will be released to his devastated parents, who fear they may have to wait at least another year for a final farewell.
On August 13 last year, 42-year-old Brett Peter Cowan was charged with murdering 13-year-old Daniel, who disappeared from a Sunshine Coast bus stop in December 2003.
On Sunday, Mrs Morcombe posted a message and photo on a Facebook page for the child safety foundation she and Daniel's father Bruce set up in their son's name.
"Wanted to keep my favorite (sic) photo till we had a funeral but waiting is forever, this is a photo taken of Dan at school which we were given after the arrest that we hadn't seen until then Denise x"
A spokeswoman for the Daniel Morcombe Foundation told AAP the Morcombes wanted some private time and would not be speaking to the media on the anniversary of Cowan's arrest.
Cowan, whose case was back in court last week, is also facing charges of child stealing, deprivation of liberty, indecent treatment of a child and interfering with a corpse.
Outside the hearing, Bruce Morcombe said he and his family were deeply unhappy with the length of time it was taking for the release of Daniel's remains.
The remains were found in bushland at Beerwah on the Sunshine Coast in August last year, and are still being forensically analysed as part of the Cowan case.Mr Morcombe said he feared a funeral for his son might have to wait until after Cowan's trial.
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.