A Midland Tafe student has been granted bail and five other teenagers have been remanded in custody after being charged with the alleged bashing of a 17-year-old in Warnbro last month.
Dimitar Dimov, 19, of Midland was today granted bail after a brief appearance the Rockingham Magistrate’s Court where he faced one charge of grievous bodily harm and two charges of assault occasioning bodily harm.
His two co-accused, Imran Assaad, of Cloverdale, and Abdul-Latif Hafza, of Bassendean, both 19, also made a brief appearance charged with the same offences but were denied bail.
None of the men were required to plead to the charges.The trio’s appearance came just several hours after three other juveniles faced the Perth Children’s Court over the alleged attack which left 17-year-old Jimi Brewer-Joyce, with brain, skull and facial injuries.
The Rockingham Magistrate’s Court was told two other teenagers suffered bodily harm in the alleged attack when they were struck with weapons after allegedly being set upon by a group.
The court was told the teenagers were part of a group of up to 10 people who had allegedly planned to go to Warnbro to commit an assault and armed themselves with weapons including baseball bats, hockey sticks and golf clubs, and allegedly wore clothing to conceal their identity.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Stephen Hope-Hume opposed bail for the three teenagers, arguing it had been a random attack and they had driven to Warnbro with the specific intention of being involved in an altercation.
Defence lawyer Rhett Williamson, who represented Mr Assaad and Mr Dimov, applied for bail for both his clients, arguing they could comply with a curfew, reside at home and provide a bail surety.
Magistrate Denis Temby refused Mr Assaad bail saying he was an “unacceptable risk of reoffending” but he granted Mr Dimov bail, which included a $20,000 personal undertaking and a $20,000 surety as well as protective bail conditions, including not to contact the alleged victims and abide by a curfew.
Mr Dimov was also ordered to surrender his passport.
Mr Hafza’s defence lawyer said it appeared the police had taken the view it had been a random assault and he applied for bail, saying his client, a second year plumbing apprentice, could live at his family home, provide a surety and abide by a curfew.
Mr Temby refused bail, saying the alleged assault had been an “unprovoked” attack and Mr Hafza, who the court was told was involved in a brawl at a fast food restaurant in Perth’s CBD last year, was an unacceptable risk of reoffending.
Mr Assaad, Mr Hafza and Mr Dimov were remanded to reappear in the Perth Magistrate’s Court on September 6.The juveniles were remanded in custody to reappear in the Perth Children’s Court on August 16.
'The West Australian' is a trademark of West Australian Newspapers Limited 2013.
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.