UPDATE, 9:44am Slain teenager Daniel Morcombe might not be laid to rest for at least another year.
Speaking outside the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Monday, Daniel’s father Bruce Morcombe said his family was sick of waiting for the release of his son's remains.
They are still being forensically analysed as evidence in his alleged killer's trial.
"The 21st of August is very close - that's when Daniel was found (last year) and here we are still talking about it," Mr Morcombe told reporters.
He said he believed the family may be forced to wait until the end of Brett Peter Cowan's murder trial before Daniel can make his final trip home.
"Obviously we're not comfortable with that, we're not happy with that, but that's possible," Mr Morcombe said.
He and his son Bradley were in court on Monday for a mention of Cowan's case.
Cowan, 42, has been in custody since his arrest in August last year, when he was charged with murder, child stealing, deprivation of liberty, indecent treatment of a child and interfering with a corpse.
Daniel was 13 when he vanished while waiting for a bus on the Sunshine Coast in December 2003.
Cowan appeared via video-link from jail and was silent during the short hearing.
His lawyer, Tim Meehan, told the court the defence would be seeking to cross-examine a further 49 witnesses during his client's committal hearing.
Mr Meehan said the Crown has already consented to them questioning 31 witnesses, but he wanted to increase that number to a total of 80.
He will argue in court why he should be allowed to cross-examine the new witnesses on September 5. It is understood this could be a closed hearing.Mr Meehan said Cowan still intended to apply for bail, but probably not until after committal proceedings were complete.
Copyright © 2013 Yahoo!7
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.