The family of murdered Queensland schoolboy Daniel Morcombe says it will start making arrangements for his funeral.
The Queensland coroner yesterday authorised the release of the teenager's remains, nine years after he was abducted.
The 13-year-old was last seen waiting for a bus at the Kiel Mountain Overpass at Woombye on the Sunshine Coast hinterland in December 2003.
Brett Peter Cowan, 43, is accused of abducting and killing the teenager.
Cowan's lawyer said his client had consented to the release of the remains found in bushland north of Brisbane last year, after extensive DNA testimony at the committal hearing from several forensic experts.
The Morcombe family met funeral directors this afternoon and said the service would be held at the St Catherine of Siena Church in Sippy Downs next Friday at 11am.
It will coincide with the ninth anniversary of Daniel's disappearance.
Bruce Morcombe says while a proper burial is important, the legal process is still paramount.
"Making the arrangements today for Daniel's funeral and obviously having Daniel's remains released by the Coroner to the family is an enormous relief and a huge milestone and very significant," he said.
"But let's not forget where we are and why we're here.
"All those years ago Daniel was abducted and murdered and that's the reason why we're going through the legal process."
Denise Morcombe says being able to bury her son means everything.
"We've been waiting nine years and we can put Daniel to rest now and it will be a relief for Dean and Brad and Daniel's grandparents and the rest of our family," she said.
The Morcombes' lawyer, Peter Boyce, said Daniel's remains were to be released by noon (AEST).
"I think (Bruce and Denise) were a bit shell-shocked that it happened so quick, but they're appreciative of the fact that what they've been fighting for has come to fruition."