A Georges Hall mother is calling for the sale of dangerous toy magnets to be banned after they clamped together in her son's bowel.
Twelve-year-old Zac Tonkli swallowed the Buckyballs magnets last month and now requires surgery to have them removed.
The two small but powerful magnets from the commonly sold desk toy remain stuck together in his large intestine.
His mother, Carolyn Tonkli, says the anxiety and stress of the ordeal has been a nightmare.
“It's an item that needs to be banned from sale here in Australia … they're too strong a magnet for general use," Tonkli says.
Despite warnings on the product’s packaging, Zac is one of a growing number of recent cases concerning authorities.
Fair Trading Minister Anthony Roberts says that the magnets stick together in the stomach and basically cause the gut to tear apart.
There has been legal action in the US to ban Buckyballs. Australia's consumer watchdog is currently investigating these strong magnet toys.New South Wales Fair Trading officials are issuing a new warning to keep the magnets away from young children.
Should David Warner be disciplined?Vote
Copyright © 2013 Yahoo!7
All rights reserved.
Select your state to see news for your area.